Friday, May 18, 2007

45 words to live by

As I walked into the Seigenthaler Center yesterday, I noticed that printed across the front of the building were the 45 words that all journalists should live by: the First Amendment.

The Freedom Forum fights for these rights so that we in the United States can have a free press.

Throughout the night, new Chipsters recited these famous words and speakers talked about them.

Diversity in the newsroom is so important, and I am glad that there are organizations like the Freedom Forum to help create a diverse atmosphere in the workplace that shows the demographics of our country.

I bet our forefathers who wrote the Constitution and its amendments would not believe how much has changed in the newsroom, but I’m sure they would be proud.


-- Megan Gordon, University of South Dakota, The Des Moines (Iowa) Register

No comments: