Friday, May 18, 2007

An inspiration

I found out last night that Martin Reynolds is the first Chips Quinn Scholar to become a managing editor. This news is beautiful. Not only does it show the extent of the Chips Quinn program, it shows the drive and determination Martin has as a journalist. This is very inspiring. And I do not say that because I might have to beg him for a job one day!

In addition to co-instructing a news bureau class at San Francisco State University, Martin is a down-to-earth guy who is easily approachable about stories and ideas. He can hang with the rest of us. Sort of. Before, I didnʼt realize the significance of his promotion. I saw it more as a great and exciting accomplishment of someone I know. But I see now that Martin is not just someone I know. He is one of us. He is a public university grad, a Bay Area resident, a minority. And he is pushing for change. He has been pushing for more multimedia at the Oakland Tribune and more diversity. He is trying to move forward, a process that can be hard and slow.

As graduation draws near for me, I must scrutinize the journalism industry more and more. Is it right for me? Can I do it? John Quinn says that, as a minority, I must or my voice and the voices of other minorities will be lost. He also talked about how Martin had to make a choice to be dedicated to journalism. Martin emphasized that as Chipsters, we have been given a chance that we cannot waste.

Lately, Iʼve been feeling depressed about the journalism industry. Some days I think that there is no room for change in the traditional newspaper industry. But last night's presentations started to pick away at that idea. I hope this weekend will change my mind for good.

-- Donna Tam, San Francisco States University, The Spokesman-Review, Spokane, Wash.

No comments: