Thursday, May 17, 2007

Hitting the jackpot

The Chips Quinn Scholars Program Summer 2007 is a lot like winning the lottery.

Your odds of "being selected" decrease as the number of applicants increase. However, once you've "won" a spot, it is an unforgettable experience with a happy stipend attached. Although, no amount of money could buy the type of opportunity this program offers to not only journalists of color but to young students who are looking for their edge in the journalism world. I just graduated from Brigham Young University a week ago and had every worry, doubt and insecurity about how prepared I was to enter the "real world." After attending the opening reception, my confidence has been renewed and I am looking forward to learning even more from experienced mentors and coaches. I am excited to discover what other doors will open thanks to this opportunity.

-- Theresa Kasallis, Brigham Young University, The Salt Lake (Utah) Tribune

No comments: