Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Juggling work and play

(Scholar) Tony Gonzalez dropped by my room Saturday night to see if I wanted to go juggling with him and a Vanderbilt student he met over the Internet. It had been years since I juggled seriously. Self-taught by Juggling for the Complete Klutz in middle school, I used to juggle fruit during high school to get some smiles (or looks of pity). In college, I wanted to focus on my studies and work for campus media, so I stopped juggling. I jumped at the chance to revisit an old hobby. Tony, (Scholars) Daniel Davis, Megan Gordon and I walked over to the Vandy campus to meet at the chosen location, a spooky, isolated portico in the middle of a deserted campus that made me extremely conscious of the amount of money I had in my wallet. But my fears were unfounded; Jacob arrived on time, towing behind him a suitcase full of juggling pins. Tony quickly taught Daniel and Megan how to juggle balls, and gave me some tips on how I could juggle pins. Tony blew our minds with a complicated routine he did with Jacob, passing six, seven and then eight pins.

Because of this little adventure, I will contact the juggling club when I return to school in the fall and learn how to juggle pins.

-- Stuart Woo, Brown University, The Providence (R.I.) Journal

No comments: