Tuesday, May 22, 2007

‘Taking care of society is the best job anyone can hope to have’

The most important lesson I am leaving orientation with is a better understanding of how valuable journalism is for society. When I came to the Chips Quinn orientation, I was a little worried about the journalism profession. It is scary to know that hard-copy newspapers are dying out, and that journalism is not exactly the career that will make you a millionaire. Fortunately, my experiences at orientation have eradicated those thoughts. News will never die; the only thing that will change is the way news is delivered. There will always be a demand for journalists to report the news. Journalism is so important to society because it serves as a watchdog, and to be taking care of society is the best job anyone can hope to have. This orientation has given me more faith and confidence in my future.

-- Jennifer Muhmel, University of South Dakota, Ventura County (Calif.) Star

No comments: