Saturday, May 19, 2007

Advice from an alum

Alum Adam Causey of The Times in Shreveport, La., picks himself out of the photo of the CQ class of 2006



Just three minutes of speaking one-on-one with Chips Quinn alums and guest speakers can yield great advice.

I approached Adam Causey, an alum reporting for The Times of Shreveport, La., because his introduction included a mention of "crime reporter." Causey works in a high-crime city. He described the relationship he inherited with local police and the strides he has made in communicating with his sources.

Causey also was honest about his career search, post-college job offers and Shreveport salary. He spoke frankly about the rough situations and sourcing challenges in crime reporting.

Causey reassured me that even if I do not encounter substantial crime reporting at my small-town college newspaper, I still can pursue that focus in journalism. I'll likely get a crack at crime reporting this summer with The Detroit News.


-- Tony Gonzalez, Hillsdale College, The Detroit News

No comments: