Saturday, May 19, 2007

Getting to know a legend

I’ve learned so much more in two days at orientation than I would have imagined. The speakers offer real-life experience, which makes this working world that we’re entering that much more real and that much more important.

It also was nice to visit The Tennessean, my internship "alma mater." I know there are few interns who have the chance to return to the newsrooms in which they spent the summer or more, and it was a nice reunion.

I particularly enjoyed John Seigenthaler’s presentation. I only knew that Mr. Seigenthaler was involved with the media. I didn’t know the extent of his knowledge and his involvement in the civil rights movement. I had no idea the magnitude of what he experienced, but I’m glad that I know now. I was truly moved to tears to know that he -- someone that I now consider a legend -- fought for the rights from which I benefit and those I take for granted daily.


-- Leah Caudle, Western Kentucky University, Lexington (Ky.) Herald-Leader

No comments: