Saturday, May 19, 2007

Signature words of inspiration

John Quinn quoted his late wife, Loie, saying: "If you don’t have confidence in yourself, then who will?"

And that’s got to be the most valuable thing I’ve heard this weekend at the Chips Quinn Scholars’ orientation.

I often find myself struggling with what others may perceive to be the simplest thing: Believing in myself.

My inner voice usually follows the thought with a question: Why?

I guess it’s because I am a self-proclaimed perfectionist and always looking for ways to make things better, including myself.

But I’m slowly learning that I’ve got to stop worrying about being good enough and learn to just accept me for me. Loie’s signature words of inspiration really hit home today.

Now, how am I going to apply this new rule at my internship?

I’m going to try not to be so critical of myself and to truly listen to and open-heartedly accept compliments. They’re free, right?


--Betsy Martinez, Florida International University, The News-Press, Fort Myers, Fla.

No comments: