Saturday, May 19, 2007

Insider's look at news meeting

Photo by Sarah Welliver
Mark Silverman, editor, and Meg Downey, managing editor, talk about the printed newspaper during a visit to The Tennessean.


I always wondered what a news meeting at a big newspaper was like, and yesterday I got to see when we visited The Tennessean. We saw editors pitch stories to the front page. I expected to see a little more passionate pitches and fights over the front page, but I wasn't "lucky" enough. Nonetheless, it was cool to see how it's done, and I got some ideas for my college newspaper. There are ways that we could have a similar meeting, one that's just as efficient and non-confrontational.

After dinner, we we came back to the Diversity Institute and played Newsmania, and although my team lost, it was a cool experience. We were quizzed on current events, pop culture and sports. It was good to see a competitive spirit from the group. For such a simple game, there were some heated moments, but it was all in the name of fun. I wish they had kept a tally of how each host newspaper's interns have done in Newsmania. That way we would have reputations to keep up. Maybe they can start next year because, even though I tried hard, the Statesman Journal didn't earn too many points.


-- Willie Bans, San Diego State University, Statesman Journal, Salem, Ore.

No comments: